About to purchase the latest Samsung phone or are you more of a Pixel person? Whether you intend to commerce in your previous Android phone for a reduction on your new phone, promote it on eBay, give it away to a good friend, or drop it off for recycling, you’re going to need to wipe it of all your knowledge first by resetting it to manufacturing unit circumstances. Luckily, that’s fairly straightforward to do.
Before you begin, remember that these directions have been examined on a Pixel 3 operating Android 12, however the course of for many present Android telephones needs to be just about the identical. Needless to say, first be sure that all of your knowledge is transferred to your new phone, backed up, or each. Once your previous phone has reset, there’s no going again.
- Go to Settings
- Select System > Reset choices
- You will likely be offered with 4 selections. Reset Wi-Fi, cell & Bluetooth is usually helpful if you happen to’re having bother with connectivity. Reset app preferences will restore all of your app and notification defaults, amongst different issues. Erase downloaded SIMs will aid you delete any digital SIMs you not want. However, none of those will delete the info on your phone. That’s the job of the final selection, Erase all knowledge (manufacturing unit reset), and that’s the one you’re going to choose.
- The subsequent display screen will inform you what goes to be erased, and which accounts you’re signed into. Select Erase all knowledge.
- If you might have a PIN or another safety setup, you’ll be requested to enter it
- You’ll get one other display screen asking if you happen to’re positive that is what you need to do. Are you positive? Then hit the Erase all knowledge button.
That’s it! The course of often takes solely two or three minutes. Your phone will reboot and start with the same old opening questions, similar to language, account, community, and so forth. Once you see these, you’ll know that it’s labored.
There are some things to concentrate on. First, if you happen to’ve received a Samsung phone, you could be requested for your Samsung account password before you’ll be able to reset (supplied you’ve created one and added it to the phone).
If you’ve received an Android phone that’s utilizing an earlier model of the OS (say, before model 8), the reset could, after it reboots, ask for your login. This may very well be awkward if you happen to’ve already despatched the phone to another person. As a end result, if you happen to’ve received an older phone, it’s a good suggestion to flip off your display screen lock (by going to Security > Screen lock and deciding on None) and deleting your Google account (which you’ll discover at Settings > Account > Google) before you begin the reset. (In reality, which may be a good suggestion in any case.)
There is proof that some knowledge could stay on a phone even after it’s been reset. To be further cautious, you’ll be able to encrypt the phone before resetting it:
- Go to Settings > Security > Encryption & credentials and choose Encrypt phone
- Go again to your settings and begin the reset course of
Of course, in order for you to be actually positive, and also you don’t intend to give the phone to anybody, you could possibly all the time seize a hammer.
Update September third, 2020, 10:50AM ET: This article was initially revealed on May twenty second, 2019, and has been up to date to point out more moderen telephones and to replace a menu choice.
Update March twenty fourth, 2022, 11:40AM ET: Updated to point out more moderen telephones and replace directions for Android 12.