If you’ve spent any time typing out a message on an iPhone, you’re accustomed to autocorrect and its shortcomings. We know them. We ducking hate them. But there’s a associated, much less well-known function on your iPhone referred to as text replacement that’s form of an all-purpose autocorrect. In truth, that is already enabled by default — any time you kind “omw,” it is going to robotically change to “On my way!” earlier than your eyes.
Here’s how to set up your personal shortcut phrases with text replacement:
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Text replacement
- Tap the plus signal within the higher proper nook
- Fill within the first discipline, Phrase, with the text you need to use
- The second discipline, Shortcut, will include the text you’ll kind to use that phrase
- Tap Save within the higher proper nook, and also you’re executed
Now the larger query: what do you have to use it for? Common strategies embrace setting up shortcuts for your e mail deal with and cellphone quantity. For the latter, the phrase could possibly be one thing like @@ or eml – one thing you’ll keep in mind however received’t set off undesirable text replacement.
Or you may go a much less sensible, extra enjoyable course and use text replacement to robotically add a (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ or a ¯_(ツ)_/¯ with out resorting to copy / paste or typing all of these characters out. You can use commonplace emoji, too.
Or perhaps you’d similar to to find a way to drop an informal “omw” right into a text with out it being transformed to an enthusiastic “On my way!” If that’s the case, right here’s how one can take away the shortcut:
- On the Text replacement display, faucet the Edit button within the lower-left nook
- Tap the crimson minus icon and use the crimson Delete button that seems to delete the phrase you need to take away
That’s it! You’re on your method to making your life just a little simpler.